Thursday 25 September 2014

REVIEW: Billy Purgatory: I am the Devil Bird (The Billy Purgatory Series) (Volume 1)





Billy Purgatory: I am the Devil Bird (The Billy Purgatory Series) (Volume 1) by Jesse James Freeman
Format: 356 pages
Publisher: Booktrope Editions (December 13, 2011)
Language: English
Description: Billy Purgatory happens to be the most badass skateboarder and sweet talker any broad can meet--even at the age of ten. He is also the target of supernatural forces he can't understand, and doesn't want to. Billy just can't seem to avoid all things Monster. Growing up, he encounters Devil Birds, gypsies, Time Zombies and vampires (and not the kind you want to bring home to your Pop, either). He tries to convince himself they're not real -- he joins the army, fixes, cares, and even goes to Vegas. But whenever Billy thinks he's put it all behind him, a monster just has to show up, and it's usually in the form of the beautiful Anastasia...

This book was given to me for review. All opinions are my own. Thank you!

I LOVE fantasy, and the supernatural realism genre is one of my favorites. So, if you take a great genre, and mix it with a kickass protagonist and a fast-paced, thrilling storyline, you've got me. Billy Purgatory was a wonderful protagonist. It's safe to say that I've never met a ten-year-old quite so badass as Billy. Anastasia was wonderful as well with her back story, and her predominately evil being. It's a great, humorous, and witty adventure, and I think anyone would enjoy. It does have it's quirks, though! There's a lot of mythology woven in, complete with Greek Gods, zombies, vampires, and all that fun supernatural weirdness.
This book was very alive to me! The characters and the adventure seemed to jump right out of the pages, dragging me in breathless. There's some skateboard action, and some romance tucked in there, so I'm going to highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys quirky adventures, witty dialogue, and some weird characters!
Also, if you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know that I love time travel, and elements that toy with that. So the hopscotch-time element that was played around with in this book made me love it even more.
Overall, it's a witty, quirky, and very much worth the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment